Transition from 482 visa to PR

The 482 visa has pathways to permanent residency via the Temporary Residence Transition Stream of the Employer Nomination Scheme.

Pathway to Permanent Residency

If you hold a TSS 482 visa in either the short term or the medium-term stream, you have a pathway to permanent residency (PR). Permanent residency allows you to live and work in Australia indefinitely, with some conditions.

Call us: 1300 794 680

482 visa to PR pathway:

Temporary Residence Transition Stream (TRT Stream)

The Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) Stream is a way to get permanent residency.

482 visa holders need to be sponsored by their employer through the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) or the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187).

Since November 23, 2023, 482 visa holders from any stream can apply for these schemes through the TRT stream.

If you meet the requirements, your employer can sponsor you for permanent residency through the:


482 visa streams

TRT Infographic: 482 visa holders from any stream can apply for permanent residency through the TRT stream


To be eligible for PR through the TRT stream as a 482 visa holder, you must meet the following conditions:

  1. Work Duration with Same Sponsor
    • You must have worked for the same employer for at least 2 years on your TSS visa (as of November 2023).
  2. Same Occupation for 3 Years
    • You need to have worked in the same occupation for 3 years at the time of lodging your PR application.
  3. Competent English
    • You must demonstrate competent English, which means an IELTS score of at least 6 or an equivalent test score, unless you are exempt. This is higher than the temporary 482 visa requirement (IELTS 5).
    • Exemptions are available for passport holders from the UK, Republic of Ireland, Canada, New Zealand, and the USA.
  4. Salary Requirements
    • You need to provide evidence, like payslips, showing that you have been paid at least the salary stated in your 482 visa application. Your salary must meet or exceed the market rate.
  5. Age Limit
    • You must be under 45 years old when you apply for permanent residency. It’s important to lodge your application before turning 45.


To learn more about the TRT stream and transitioning from the TSS visa to permanent residency, talk to our registered migration agent to understand your options.

I have a 482 to PR query