Applying for a 482 Visa

The process for sponsoring a subclass 482 visa has 2 main parts.

The first part involves getting the employer’s nomination approved by the Department of Home Affairs.

The second stage involves the 482 sponsored worker’s visa application. Applying for a 482 visa can only happen after the position has been nominated by the employer, and the nomination has been approved by the Department of Home Affairs.

Call us: 1300 794 680

Subclass 482 Visa Sponsorship Steps in 60 Seconds gives you an overview of the process.

YouTube video

482 visa application process

  • An approved business sponsor can nominate a job position from the skilled occupation list for the 482 visa.
  • The nominated position must be approved by the Department of Home Affairs so the candidate can start preparing to apply for the 482 visa.
  • After passing the required skills assessment, language tests, and character check, the candidate can apply for the 482 visa.
  • Once the 482 visa is granted, the candidate can start working for the sponsoring employer.
482 visa query? Call us: 1300 794 680

Learn more about the nomination process here.


The sponsored worker must show they are skilled in the job they are nominated for. To prove this, they need to:

    • Have worked in a job from the short-term, medium-term, or regional skilled occupation list for at least 2 years in the past 5 years when they apply for the visa.
    • Show their skills in the job, including passing a skills assessment. Trades Recognition Australia conducts these assessments through different affiliates for various jobs.

Skills assessments require gathering documents that prove training, qualifications, work experience, and skills. These documents include salary evidence, employment confirmation from previous employers, detailed job duties, certificates, and transcripts.

The goal of the skills assessments is to make sure the nominated workers can perform at the same level as Australian standards.


482 visa applicants must meet the English language requirement, equivalent to an IELTS score of 5. Other accepted English tests are:

    • Pearson Test of English (PTE)
    • Cambridge English (CAE, also known as C1 Advanced)
    • Occupational English Test (OET) – for health professionals
    • TOEFL iBT

The English language requirement does not apply to applicants with passports from the UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Canada, or the United States, or if they have completed 5 or more years of secondary or higher education in English.


482 applicants need to pass Australia’s ‘good character test’ by providing police clearances from countries where they have lived in the past 10 years.


You will need to have health insurance.

Contact us