Applying for a Subclass 407 Training Visa

The subclass 407 Training visa enables you to take part in a workplace-based training activities to improve your job, field of expertise, tertiary studies or in a professional development training program in Australia.

Step One. Be nominated by an approved sponsor.

To apply for this visa you need to be nominated by an approved temporary sponsor.

Volunteer Position documents

If your training position is a volunteer one, you will need to complete an Acknowledgement of Unpaid Placement [Form 1283]. Your sponsor will submit this form with their nomination application.

Step Two. Prepare your documents that will accompany your training visa application

Identity documents

Passport page: You’ll need your current passport page with your photograph and personal details and passport expiry date

A national identity card if you have one

Proof of name change if applicable

If you have changed your name, for example through marriage, you will need to include documents that prove your change of name. This could be a marriage or divorce certificate, documents that show any other names you have been known by, a lodgment of a name change on the Australian Registry of Births, Deaths or Marriages or equivalent.

Sponsor documents

You will need to supply 3 sponsor documents:

The sponsor approval letter or receipt for submission of the sponsorship application

Your sponsor’s nomination approval letter or a receipt for the submission of the nomination application

A written statement from the sponsor that they will meet the sponsorship obligations for you and any other applicants on your visa application

Financial support documents

You will need to prove that you will be able to financially support yourself and your family while you are in Australia. To demonstrate this, you can supply:

    • Bank statements
    • Employment contracts
    • Allowances, accommodation arrangements and stipends from your sponsor
    • A letter of support from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade if you were or are an AusAID or Foreign Affairs supported student.

Health Insurance

You will need to show you have health insurance in place for you and your family members for the period of your stay in Australia.

English Language documents

For the subclass 407 training visa, you require functional English. This is the equivalent to an IELTS score of 4.5. The English language requirement does not apply if you hold a passport issued by the UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Canada or the United States.

Workplace-based activity documents

The workplace-based activity documents needed are:

    • a copy of your qualification and CV
    • registrations or licences for need to do the training if required.
    • if you are sponsored by an Australian Commonwealth agency, provide a copy of the invitation to a participate in the training.

Professional Development documents

If you are sponsored by an Australian Commonwealth agency, provide a copy of the invitation to a participate in the training.

Include a signed letter on company letterhead from your current manager detailing your current position and duties.

Copy of your CV and qualifications

Copy of the nomination approval letter or nomination application submission receipt.

A statement from your sponsor confirming they are satisfied:

    • you are doing the professional development training specified in the application
    • you have relevant managerial or other professional skills and work experience to participate in the program

Occupational training required for registration

You will need a letter from the regulatory body for the occupation in Australia or your home country which includes your name and states the nominated training is necessary for your to get registration, membership or licensing to work in your occupation.

Health Practitioners

If you will be treating patients as part of your occupational training you must provide a letter from the relevant registration authority or  regulatory body stating you have conditional registration for the training.

Character documents

Australian police clearance: This must be a Complete Disclosure National Police Certificates issued by the Australian Federal Police. These should be no older than 12 months at the time you submit your visa application.

Overseas police clearances: You need to provide a police certificate from every country (including your home country) in which you have spent a total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years since turning 16and also police clearances for each country you have lived in since.

If you have served in the armed forces of any country, you will need to include your discharge papers and military service record.

As well as this, you will need to complete the immigration department’s Form 80 and Form 1221.

Partner documents

You’ll need to provide documents proving your partner’s’ identity and their relationship to you. This should include identity documents, such as a certified copy of the passport page containing their photo and personal details.

Establishing your partner’s relationship to you can be done by providing a marriage certificate or providing 12 months of proof that you are in a de facto relationship. Evidence such as joint bank account statements, billing accounts in both names, joint leases or mortgages can be used to prove a de facto relationship.

Dependents under 18 years old

You will need to include identity documents, proof of their relationship to you (such as a birth certificate) and character documents where applicable for dependents, such as children, applying with you on your 491 application.

You may also need obtain documents that prove your parental responsibility.

You will also need to obtain the written consent (using Form 1229 or by providing a statutory declaration) from anyone else who has a legal right to decide where the child lives and/or is not coming to Australia with the child. This needs to include the signature and photograph of the person who provided this written consent. Written consent can also be a statutory declaration giving their consent for the child to travel to Australia on this visa, or you can present an Australian court order allowing the child to migrate to Australia or details of a law in your home country allowing them to migrate, adoption papers or other court documents.

Dependents over 18 years old

If you have dependents who are over 18 years old, you will need to include Form 47a detailing the ways this applicant is dependent on you. You can also include other forms of proof, such as their tax records, evidence they are currently studying and/or they live with you, proof they are currently studying, banks statements showing you have financially supported them.

Step 3. Submit your subclass 407 Training visa application with your documents

You can be in or outside of Australia when you apply for this visa.

If you are in Australia and wish to travel, make sure you have a valid visa to return.

Step 4. Your 407 Training visa is granted.

 The visa enables you to remain in Australia for up to 2 years.

You and your family are free to travel in and out of Australia while you have this visa. The visa, however, cannot be extended.


The government fee for 407 Training visa is AUD 310 for the main applicant and subsequent applicants.

This does not include charges you may incur for obtaining police checks, health checks, English language tests or registered migration fees.

Processing Times

The processing time for the 407 Training visa varies. Three quarters are processed in less than 3 months. The majority are processed within 4 months.

Get Started