UNIT GROUP TELECOMMUNICATIONS ENGINEERING PROFESSIONALS
TELECOMMUNICATIONS ENGINEERING PROFESSIONALS design, construct, install, service and support telecommunications equipment, systems and facilities.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience and/or relevant vendor certification may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- planning, designing, building, configuring and commissioning telecommunications devices, networks and systems, such as voice, radio, two-way, data, microwave, satellite and digital data systems, and ensuring telecommunications systems interconnect with equipment from different manufacturers, service providers and users
- compiling engineering project proposals to define goals, identify scope, background and need, and ascertain cost of equipment, parts and services
- evaluating and procuring new products and services from vendors
- ensuring compliance with laws, regulations, policies and procedures in the provision of telecommunications systems
- selecting and developing new telecommunications sites by locating sites, filing documents, drawing up documents for approval, drafting construction drawings and following through to approval
- determining appropriate configurations of telecommunications hardware and software, ensuring desired performance of telecommunications equipment
- preparing and interpreting specifications, drawings and regulations for the use of telecommunications equipment
- determining the type and arrangement of circuits, transformers, circuit-breakers, transmission lines and equipment
- identifying and analysing problems and needs of existing telecommunications systems, such as interference, intelligibility and clarity, to determine the most appropriate means of reducing, eliminating and avoiding current and future problems and improve communications
- monitoring telecommunications systems to assess need for updates, upgrades, enhancements, preventive maintenance and new systems
- assessing performance levels of system hardware and software to project future needs, and developing short- and long-terms plans for updating equipment, adding capabilities, enhancing existing systems and providing improved telecommunications
263311 Telecommunications Engineer
263312 Telecommunications Network Engineer
263311 TELECOMMUNICATIONS ENGINEER
Designs and develops telecommunications systems, devices and products.
Skill Level: 1
Signals Officer (Army)
263312 TELECOMMUNICATIONS NETWORK ENGINEER
Communications Specialist (ICT)
Plans, designs, and monitors complex telecommunications networks and associated broadcasting equipment.
Skill Level: 1