SURGEONS perform surgery to correct deformities, repair injuries, prevent and treat diseases, and improve human functioning and appearance. Medical Registrars training as Surgeons are included in this unit group.
Occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification, two years hospital-based training, and at least five years specialist study and training (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing is required.
- examining patients to determine the necessity of operations, estimating and explaining risks to patients, and selecting the best operational procedures
- reviewing reports on patients’ general physical condition, reactions to medications and medical histories
- consulting with Anaesthetists regarding the correct anaesthesia for patients
- performing surgical operations
- examining instruments, equipment, and surgical set-up to ensure that antiseptic and aseptic methods have been followed
- instructing other medical, nursing and associated staff regarding the preparation of patients and instrument and equipment requirements
- prescribing post-operative care, and observing and investigating patients’ progress
- maintaining records of operations performed
- may specialise in particular types of operations
Surgeon (General) 253511
Cardiothoracic Surgeon 253512
Orthopaedic Surgeon 253514
Paediatric Surgeon 253516
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon 253517
Vascular Surgeon 253521
Performs surgery to correct diseases and disorders covering a broad range of medical conditions. Registration or licensing is required.
Performs heart and lung surgery. Registration or licensing is required.
Performs surgery to correct disorders of the brain, spine and nervous system. Registration or licensing is required.
Performs surgery to treat muscular and skeletal diseases and injuries. Registration or licensing is required.
Alternative Titles:Ear, Nose and Throat Specialist
Head and Neck Surgeon
Performs surgery to correct diseases and disorders of the ear, nose and throat. Registration or licensing is required.
Provides surgical care and treatment to children from birth up to, and including, adolescence. Registration or licensing is required.
PLASTIC AND RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGEON
Performs surgery to repair and reconstruct muscle and tissue injuries and congenital deformities. Registration or licensing is required.
Provides medical and surgical treatment to patients with disorders of the kidney, urinary bladder and urethra, and treats disorders of the male sex organs. Registration or licensing is required.
Performs surgery to treat patients with conditions affecting their arteries and veins. Registration or licensing is required.