Temporary Worker (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)

The Temporary Worker (Skilled) visa (subclass 457), often known as the 457, enables a non-Australian skilled worker to be sponsored for employment by an accredited Australian business.  

The 457 visa has 2 streams:

Short-Term stream, valid for 2 years.

Medium-Term stream, valid for 4 years.

What is the difference between the Short-Term and Medium-Term streams?

Short-Term stream

This 457 visa valid for 2 years.

Your nominated skill appears on the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)

You cannot transition to another visa after the Short-Term 457 expires.

Medium-Term stream

This 457 visa valid for 4 years.

Your nominated skill appears on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)

You can transition to a permanent residency visa.

What are the steps to getting a 457 visa?

Before you, as the prospective employee, can apply for 457 visa your employer must become an accredited business sponsor.

The employer must then nominate the vacant position they wish to sponsor, providing information about the job, salary, the skills required amongst other criteria.

1. The Australian employer obtains ‘accredited business sponsor’ status

2. The Australian employer nominate the position.

3. You, the 457 applicant, submits your Visa Application.

Before you submit your 457 visa application you will need to:

    • show you are qualified in your nominated occupation by presenting recognized qualifications and experience and/or having your trade skills assessed by Trades Recognition Australia. We can help you with getting your skills assessed by Trades Recognition Australia.
    • show that you have functional English language ability. You can do this if you hold a passport issued by the UK, Republic of Ireland, Canada, the USA or New Zealand. If you don’t, you will need to obtain a specified score in an English language test. Learn more about what English you need.
    • pass police, health, language, age and character checks
    • have sufficient health insurance for the period of your stay in Australia

Frequently Asked Questions about the 457

Has the 457 visa been abolished? Can I still apply?

Answer: The 457 visa will continue to exist until March 2018. Yes you can if your nominated occupation is on either the STSOL or the MLTSSL.

What happens if I lodged my 457 application on or before 18th April 2017 for an occupation that is no longer on the new skilled occupation list and my application has not yet been decided?

Answer: You may be eligible for a refund on your application fee.

I have a 457 visa. Before April 2017, I could apply for a permanent residency visa, like the 186, if my employer sponsored me. Can I still do this?

Answer: It depends if your occupation is on the STSOL or the MLTSSL. If your occupation is on the STSOL then unfortunately no you can’t. If your occupation is on the MLTSSL then yes you can.

If you currently hold a 457 visa, contact us to understand what these changes mean for you and your dependents.

Contact us