The Short Stay Specialist subclass 400 visa enables an Australian business to engage a worker from overseas with specialised skills, knowledge or experience that cannot be reasonably found in Australia.
The visa holder can carry out non-ongoing work in Australia for up to 3 months, though extensions are possible if accompanied with a strong business case.
Partners and children can be included on this visa application.
An applicant who works in the entertainment business can apply for this visa so long as the production will not be shown in Australia. If the production will be shown in Australia, apply for the Temporary Activity visa subclass 408.
The Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa (subclass 400) visa usually takes about 9 days to process if all correct documents are included with the application.
The Temporary Activity subclass 408 visa allows the holder to work in Australia to carry out temporary activities. An Australian business needs to sponsor the visa application before it is submitted.
The subclass 408 visa is for people who:
- work in the entertainment industry
- are employed as a super yacht crew member
- participate in high-level sports competitions or a sports training program
- participate in a government endorsed event
- participate in activities at the invitation of an Australian organisation
- participate or observe in an Australian research project
- work in a skilled position under a staff exchange arrangement
- participate in a special programme approved by the department that provides opportunities for youth exchange, cultural enrichment or community benetis
- do full time religious work
- do full time domestic work in the household of certain senior foreign executives
Length of Stay
The visa is valid for different lengths of stay which depends on the activity the visa holder is carrying out.
The length of stay ranges from 3 months if invited to participate in a specific event, 2 years for other activities and up to 4 years if the visa holder is participating in Australian government activities.