Subclass 309 and 100 Partner Visa

Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) and Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100)

You need to apply for this one outside of Australia (“offshore”).

The Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) is the first stage towards a permanent Partner visa (subclass 100). You only need to lodge  one application and pay one application fee for both your temporary and permanent visas . However, your visa application is processed in two stages.

When you apply for and are granted the first stage – the Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) – you must be outside of Australia.

When the second stage – the Partner visa (subclass 100) – is granted you can be in or outside of Australia.

Applying for the subclass 309 Partner visa

To qualify for this visa, you must be married to or in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen. And you must be in Australia when you apply.

Expect the processing time to take anything from 12 to 15 months. Delays can be reduced by ensuring your application and supporting documents provide all the required information.

Once granted, you are allowed to live, work and study in Australia until a decision in made on your permanent Partner visa.

Once the permanent partner visa is granted, you can stay in Australia indefinitely, work and study, travel freely to and from Australia for 5 years from the date the permanent partner visa was granted.

You are also in a position to look at applying for citizenship.

If this sounds like you, contact us today for an assessment of your application.

Contact us