Employer Nominated Scheme Subclass 186 Visa

The Employer Nominated Scheme subclass 186 visa is a skilled permanent visa and grants permanent residency to the visa holder and their dependents. If you want to apply for the Employer Nominated Scheme, you will need to be nominated by an employer for a full time position.

How to apply for the subclass 186 visa

1. First of all, an Australian employer must nominate a position from Medium and Long Term Strategic Skilled List (MLTSSL) – also known as Schedule 1. This must be approved by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection before going to step 2.

2. The employer nominates the candidate from one of these 3 streams:

Transitioning Residence Transition stream: If you already hold a 457 visa, your employer can sponsor you for a subclass 186 visa.

You must be under 50 years old at the time of application (specific exceptions apply).

As a 457 visa holder, you will need to show that you have been residing in Australia for at least 3 years when the application is made. You will also need to show you have been working in the same occupation for your nominating employer for at least 2 of those 3 years.

Direct Entry stream: This stream is for visa applicants who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream.

An Australian employer must nominate you before you apply for the visa.

You must be under 45 years old at the time of application (specific exceptions apply).

You will need to obtain a skills assessment before you apply for this visa. (We can help organise this for you).

Agreement stream:If you have been sponsored by an Australian employer through a negotiated formal labour agreement, you can apply for a subclass 186 visa using the Agreement stream.

3. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection approves the nomination.

4. The candidate submits the visa application.

You can include members of your family unit on this application.

For you, as the candidate, to qualify for this visa, you must show:

you are qualified in the nominated occupation by presenting recognized qualifications and experience and/or having their trade skills assessed by the relevant assessment authority.

you have the appropriate level of English which must be the equivalent of an IELTS score of 6. There are exceptions if you hold a passport issued by the UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Canada or the United States.  Learn more about the level of English you need.

you and your family members on the application pass character and health checks.


Contact us to know your options

Call Us 1300 794 680