You could emigrate to Australia independently on the basis of your profession or trade. With Australia’s skilled independent subclass 189 visa, you do not need to be sponsored by an Australian employer.

Skilled Independent Subclass 189 Visa

The skilled independent subclass 189 visa is designed for those who are not sponsored by an employer or family member.

You can apply for the skilled independent subclass 189 visa if you are living inside or outside of Australia. If you are already living in Australia and wish to apply for the visa, you must already hold a Bridging A, B, or C visa or a substantive visa.

To qualify for this visa you must:

  • Be aged between 18 and 49 years old
  • Complete an expression of interest (EOI) and be invited to apply by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection
  • Score a minimum of 60 points on the SkillSelect’s Skilled Migration Points Test
  • Pass the skills assessment for your occupation required by the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) 
  • Meet the requirements for competent English
  • Pass character and health checks

To apply for a skilled independent subclass 189 visa:

1. Use the SkillSelect service to lodge an expression of interest (EOI).

2. Wait you need to be invited to apply by the Department of Immigration. Invitations are issued twice a month and are posted publicly on the SkillSelect website.

3. Assemble all your documentation

4. Once you receive an invitation, you will have 60 days to apply for the visa and submit all of your documents.

You can include the following family members on your application:

  • Spouses and partners of any sex
  • Children who are dependent
  • Other relatives who are financially dependent on the applicant

Dependent family members must be included on the visa application when it is filed.