PSYCHOLOGISTS investigate, assess and provide treatment and counselling to foster optimal personal, social, educational and occupational adjustment and development.
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing may be required.
- collecting data about clients and assessing their cognitive, behavioural and emotional disorders
- administering and interpreting diagnostic tests and formulating plans for treatment
- developing, administering and evaluating individual and group treatment programs
- consulting with other professionals on details of cases and treatment plans
- conducting research studies of motivation in learning, group performance and individual differences in mental abilities and educational performance
- collecting data and analysing characteristics of students and recommending educational programs
- formulating achievement, diagnostic and predictive tests for use by teachers in planning methods and content of instruction
- developing interview techniques, psychological tests and other aids in workplace selection, placement, appraisal and promotion
- conducting surveys and research studies on job design, work groups, morale, motivation, supervision and management
- performing job analyses and establishing job requirements by observing and interviewing employees and managers
Clinical Psychologist 272311
Educational Psychologist 272312
Organisational Psychologist 272313
Psychologists nec 272399
Consults with individuals and groups, assesses psychological disorders and administers programs of treatment. Registration or licensing is required.
Investigates learning and teaching, and develops psychological techniques to foster the development and skills of individuals and groups in educational settings. Registration or licensing is required.
Applies psychological principles and techniques to study occupational behaviour, working conditions and organisational structure, and solve problems of work performance and organisational design. Registration or licensing is required.
Provides diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional disorders using psychotherapeutic methods such as behavioural therapy, biofeedback, relaxation therapy and other techniques.
Art Psychotherapist or Therapist
This occupation group covers Psychologists not elsewhere classified. Registration or licensing is required.
Occupations in this group include: