UNIT GROUP 2525 PHYSIOTHERAPISTS
PHYSIOTHERAPISTS assess, treat and prevent disorders in human movement caused by injury or disease.
Indicative Skill Level:
Occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing is required.
- administering muscle, nerve, joint and functional ability tests to identify and assess physical problems of patients
- designing treatment programs to address patients’ problems
- treating patients to reduce pain, improve circulation, strengthen muscles, improve cardiothoracic, cardiovascular and respiratory functions, restore joint mobility, and improve balance and coordination
- using the therapeutic properties of exercise, heat, cold, massage, manipulation, hydrotherapy, electrotherapy, ultraviolet and infra-red light and ultrasound in the treatment of patients
- reviewing, continually monitoring, assessing and evaluating programs and treatments
- consulting with other Health Professionals as required about patients’ problems, needs and progress
- instructing patients and their families in procedures to be continued at home
- recording treatments given and patients’ responses and progress
- developing and implementing screening and preventative health promotion programs
Alternative Title:Physical Therapist
Assesses, treats and prevents disorders in human movement caused by injury or disease. Registration or licensing is required.
Skill Level: 1
Continence and Women’s Health Physiotherapist
Maori Physiotherapist (NZ)
Occupational Health Physiotherapist