Partner Visa Subclass 820
The subclass 820 partner visa is a temporary residency visa.
You must be in Australia when you apply and when the visa is granted.
How to apply for the Partner Visa subclass 820
The 820 visa requires a visa sponsor and a visa applicant who are married or in a de facto relationship.
Step 1. The visa applicant gathers all required documents.
If you are married and applying for the 820 visa
- You must prove that you and your spouse are both committed to a shared life to others.
- Your relationship is genuine and continuing.
- You live with your spouse – and do not live apart on a permanent bases.
- Your marriage is valid under Australian law.
If you are in a de facto relationship applying for the 820 visa
How do you know you are in a de facto relationship?
- You are not married to each other
- You are committed to a shared life to the exclusion of all others
- Your relationship is genuine and continuing
- You live together or do not live separately and apart on a permanent basis
- You are not related by family
- In most cases, your de facto relationship must have lasted for at least 12 months before you apply for the visa. Dating or online relationship does not count.
- There are exceptions to the 12 month requirement if:
- Your partner holds or has held a permanent humanitarian visa.
- Your de facto relationship existed before your partner was granted their permanent humanitarian visa.
- Your de facto partner told the immigration department before your partner was granted their permanent humanitarian visa.
- You are in a de facto relationship with a partner who is an applicant for a permanent humanitarian visa.
- You have registered your relationship with an Australian authority.
You must be 18 years or older when you apply for the 820 visa
You can include dependents, namely children, on your application.
If you include children on your application, you will need to prove their relationship to you and they will also need to pass health and character requirements.
You’ll need to meet Australia’s health requirements
Pass Australia’s character requirements
Pay any debts to the Australian Government
You must have a sponsor when you submit your 820 visa application
Your sponsor is usually your partner or spouse
You cannot change your sponsor. The person who sponsors you must be the same person who sponsors you for 2 years after we grant your 820 partner visa.
Step 2. The 820 partner visa applicant lodges their application in Australia
Once all your documents proving your identify, character, health and your relationship are gathered, you can now complete and submit your application. Ensuring all these documents are correctly prepared is key to preventing any delays in the visa application being processed.
Step 3. The 820 partner visa sponsor applies for sponsorship.
The sponsor needs to prove they are an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen.
Police Certificates: The sponsor also needs to provide an Australian police certificate. This needs to be a National Police Certificate from the Australian Federal Police.
You also need police certificates from every country you have spent 12 months for the past 10 years since you turned 16.
You will also need to provide consent for the immigration department to disclose any convictions of relevant offense to the visa applicant you are applying to sponsor.
Once you have gathered all your documents – and the visa applicant has submitted their application.
As the sponsor, you will receive confirmation your application has been received and whether it has been accepted.
Step 3. The 820 partner visa application and the sponsorship application are assessed.
Step 4. The visa is approved. When it is, the visa applicant must be in Australia when the visa is approved.
When your 820 visa is granted, you will receive a visa grant number, the date your visa starts and the visa conditions.
What happens after your 820 partner visa is granted?
You might be granted a permanent 801 Partner visa immediately after your temporary 820 visa is granted.
If this doesn’t happen, you will need to provide more documents to obtain the permanent 801 permanent visa.
The partner visa requires a lot of specific, detailed supporting information. Its important to ensure the proof you provide about your relationship will be accepted. Talk to our reliable migration agent who specialises in partner visas. Insufficient proof will delay the processing of your visa.Contact us for partner visa advise