DATABASE AND SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATORS, AND ICT SECURITY SPECIALISTS
DATABASE AND SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATORS, AND ICT SECURITY SPECIALISTS plan, develop, maintain, manage and administer organisations’ database management systems, operating systems and security policies and procedures to ensure optimal database and system integrity, security, backup, reliability and performance.
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience and/or relevant vendor certification may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- designing and maintaining database architecture, data structures, tables, dictionaries and naming conventions to ensure the accuracy and completeness of all data master files
- performing the operational establishment and preventive maintenance of backups, recovery procedures, and enforcing security and integrity controls
- implementing and administering database documentation, guidelines, policies and procedures
- testing database systems and upgrades, such as debugging, tracking, reproduction, logging and resolving all identified problems, according to approved quality testing scripts, procedures and processes
- accepting responsibility for the processes, procedures and operational management associated with system security and disaster recovery planning
- liaising with security vendors, suppliers, service providers and external resources; analysing, recommending, installing and maintaining software security applications; and monitoring contractual obligations, performance delivery and service level agreements
- troubleshooting and providing service support in diagnosing, resolving and repairing server-related hardware and software malfunctions, encompassing workstations and communication infrastructure
- preparing and maintaining documentation, policies and instructions, and recording and detailing operational procedures and system logs
- ensuring that the design of computer sites allows all components to fit together and work properly, and monitoring and adjusting the performance of networks
- continually surveying the current computer site to determine future network needs and making recommendations for enhancements in the implementation of future servers and networks
262111 Database Administrator
262112 ICT Security Specialist
262113 Systems Administrator
262111 DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR
Plans, develops, configures, maintains and supports an organisation’s database management system in accordance with user requirements ensuring optimal database integrity, security, backup, reliability and performance.
Skill Level: 1
262112 ICT SECURITY SPECIALIST
Establishes, manages and administers an organisation’s ICT security policy and procedures to ensure preventive and recovery strategies are in place, and minimise the risk of internal and external security threats.
Skill Level: 1
Information Technology Security Manager
262113 SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR
Plans, develops, installs, troubleshoots, maintains and supports an operating system and associated server hardware, software and databases ensuring optimum system integrity, security, backup and performance.
Skill Level: 1