BRICKLAYERS AND STONEMASONS
BRICKLAYERS AND STONEMASONS lay bricks, pre-cut stones and other types of building blocks in mortar to construct and repair walls, partitions, arches and other structures, and cut and shape hard and soft stone blocks and masonry slabs for the construction and renovation of stone structures and monumental masonry.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Registration or licensing may be required.
- studying plans and specifications to determine materials required, dimensions and installation procedures
- erecting and dismantling restricted height scaffolding
- sealing foundations with damp-resistant materials and spreading layers of mortar to serve as base and binder for blocks using trowels
- laying bricks in rows, designs and shapes, and spreading mortar between joints
- embedding blocks in mortar and removing excess mortar
- checking vertical and horizontal alignment
- cutting, shaping and polishing stones and bricks using machines and hand tools, and shaping bricks to fit irregular spaces
- repairing and maintaining bricks, cement blocks and related structures
- designing and cutting monumental masonry and lettering
- constructing walls using stone slabs and large masonry slab blocks
Lays bricks, pre-cut stone and other types of building blocks in mortar to construct and repair walls, partitions, arches and other structures. Registration or licensing may be required.
Skill Level: 3
Retort Setter (Bricklaying)
Cuts and shapes hard and soft stone blocks and masonry slabs to construct and renovate stone structures and monumental masonry. Registration or licensing may be required.
Skill Level: 3