Western Australia

Transferring Car Ownership

Once you buy a car, you must advise the Department within 14 days of purchasing a licence vehicle.

As the buyer or seller you have the choice of transferring the vehicle online using DoTDirect or by submitting a form in person.

Follow the steps here.

New South Wales

Once you buy a car, you must advise the NSW Department within 14 days of purchasing a licence vehicle.

Transfer your registration online after the previous owner or operator has submitted a notice of disposal.

For details on what you’ll need to transfer ownership, visit:



fill in the ‘buyer’ section of the application for transfer of registration form [PDF 368 Kb] and submit it to VicRoads along with:


The Department of Transport and Main Roads looks after vehicle registration. They can be contacted on 13 23 80.

Once you buy a car, you must advise the Department within 14 days of purchasing a licence vehicle.

You can do this in person at:

  • a Transport and Main Roads customer service centre
  • a Queensland Government license issuing centre
  • a Queensland Government Agent Program office (in rural or remote areas)
  • or a licence-issuing police stations (in rural or remote areas)

You will need to bring with you:

  • Part A of the vehicle registration transfer application (F3520).
  • A completednew customer application (F3503) if you are a new customer and it is your first time doing business with us (for example, interstate or overseas driver licence holder).
    • handwritten certificates—bring the original blue copy
    • electronic certificates—bring a printed copy or include the certificate number on the vehicle registration transfer application. If requested, the seller must show you the certificate so you can ensure it is valid.
  • Your original licence or other evidence of identity—if the vehicle is to be registered in 2 names, both people must provide suitable evidence of identity.
  • Evidence of the Queensland address of where the vehicle is garaged—this can be your driver licence, property rates notice or either a gas, phone or electricity bill.

Buying or registering a vehicle as an organisation

If you are registering a vehicle in the name of an organisation, you will need to bring organisation identification, such as a:

  • certificate of incorporation issued by the Office of Fair Trading
  • certificate of registration of a company or business issued by the Australian Securities Investments Commission.
  • Proof that you are acting on behalf of the organization (a business card or documentation on letter head is fine)
  • Proof of your identity, such as your driver’s licence.