The Short Stay Specialist subclass 400 visa enables an Australian business to engage a worker from overseas with specialised skills, knowledge or experience that cannot be reasonably found in Australia. The visa holder can carry out non-ongoing work in Australia for up to 3 months, though extensions are possible if accompanied with a strong business case.

Partners and children can be included on this visa application.

How to apply

Your visa application should be accompanied by:

a valid passport

proof of identity

evidence of the work you will be carrying out. This can be a letter of the job offer or your employment contract describing details of your role and the reason you are required in Australia.

a copy of your proposed itinerary if you are a freelancer

In addition to this, visa applicants must pass Australian health and character assessments.

You can apply for this visa if you work in the entertainment business, however you will need to include evidence that the production will not be shown in Australia. If the production will be shown in Australia, you should apply for the Temporary Activity visa subclass 408.

The Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa (subclass 400) visa usually takes about 9 days to process if all correct documents are included with the application.