UNIT GROUP 3991 BOAT BUILDERS AND SHIPWRIGHTS
BOAT BUILDERS AND SHIPWRIGHTS construct, fit out and repair boats and ships.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Registration or licensing may be required.
- studying plans and specifications, and preparing templates and scale plans for fabrication and cutting of hull sections
- marking reference points and lines on dry docks and slipways
- checking position and functioning of slipway apparatus
- assembling shells of boats and erecting hull sections of ship
- erecting and preparing launching platforms, conducting pre-launch tests and supervising launching procedures
- installing masts, frames, decking, fittings, machines, shafts and safety equipment
- building and installing structures such as cabins, machine mountings, propeller supports and rudders
- determining repair requirements and procedures
- may make hull moulds and fabricate and repair vessels using materials such as aluminium, wood, glass, reinforced plastics, carbon fibre, Kevlar, fibreglass and concrete
399111 Boat Builder and Repairer
399111 BOAT BUILDER AND REPAIRER
Builds, repairs and modifies boats. Registration or licensing may be required.
Skill Level: 3
Composite Boat Builder
Wooden Boat Builder
Constructs, fits out and repairs ships. Registration or licensing is required.
Skill Level: 3